Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is it the thought that counts??

Referring back to an earlier post about reusing, recycling, and not buying things much anymore, I am thinking about presents lately. This is because
A. Mother's Day is coming up
B. Then Father's Day is coming up
C. But before that my anniversary is coming up
D. I already forgot or put off doing anything for my parents birthdays earlier this year.

I think the idea of just going out and buying something for somebody is definitely off-putting for me. Can I use that word? Is that even a word? I don't like stuff and I don't like feeling that by giving stuff to other people, I am obligating them to keep more stuff. Besides my parents are in the midst of moving so I really don't think they need much right now anyway.

On the other hand, I feel like a heel if I don't do anything. I mean, I love my parents. I want them to feel special on holidays and birthdays, and unfortunately I don't live close enough to make them a delicious meal or garden for them.

So I get in this dilemma every gift-giving time of not wanting to give an impersonal card or gift, and intending to make something cute and small or edible. Then of course I put it off and don't do it, and inevitably I don't do anything except call and apologize for being a forgetful jerk. This is also what happened during Christmas.

And let's not forget the fact that men are impossibly hard to shop for or give gifts to.

Yes, I know I make things way more complicated than they have to be.

5 comments:

Cyclingred said...

The thought does count. I don't like for my children to spend thier money on consumer stuff for me. It is just more stuff I have to deal with. I have more money than they do so I can buy it myself if I want it. If the stuff is not too expensive and shows a lot of thought than I appreciate it.

Living far away so stuff needs to be mailed also compounds the problem.

I also don't care for a card that has nothing more than the sender's signature. Can't one find even a line or two to add?

I do like clever e-cards. A nice letter is good. And a pic of my grandson would be wonderful. :) It doesn't need to be a professional one. Just occasional pics to show how the young man is growing.

I wish my son's would in general just keep better in touch.

love,
Dad

Nancy said...

Ditto what your dad said!

Amy said...

Unclutterer.com has some good ideas for non-stuff gifts. I think it's cool to give "things to do" gifts--like tickets to a play, concert, movie, festival, etc; gift cards for favorite restaurants; membership or tickets to a museum, that kind of thing. Those can all be easily done long-distance, too. And they can be really personal if you tailor it to the person's specific interest. You could look around online for interesting events going on in their area and give them some fun memories instead of some stuff.

Nancy said...

The thought does count....I'm with you. with a little creativity, you can give meaningful gifts that won't clutter up the recipient's life. Here are a few i've sent: a maple syrup tree in Vermont. At end of season, recipient gets as much syrup as the tree produced. Adopt a grizzly (or other animal) from Nat. Wildlife Fed. They send a certificate of symbolic adoption and a small (small) stuffed version of the animal. Dental work for a child in Guatemala. Text books for Rosebud Indian Res., the poorest part of our country. The equiv. of one day's fasting--in recipient's name--to Oxfam. Create your own such gift: choose some old lady in your 'hood who needs gardening. Give it to her in your recipient's name and send the recipient some photos of what you did....OR as your smart dad suggests, send photos of your bouncing baby boy.

Nancy said...

that last one from NAncy V....case you didnt know it